Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Merrily on our way to nowhere in particular - The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

11 – The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

With this movie done I'm finally through the six package movies and I can move on to the great stuff!









I should probably talk about this one first though. This final story in Disney's attempt to save some money is 1949's The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. And overall, it wasn't terrible. Hell, I'd even say I kinda liked it.

The Wind in the Willows

The first of only two shorts in this movie is the story of Mr. Toad. The story is basically the story of this Toad who keeps getting himself in trouble until he finds himself in a situation he can't talk his way out of. It's told through narration which would usually drive me pretty crazy but was actually really well done in this story. The narrator is interesting and descriptive but still knows exactly when to get out of the way to let the story go by itself for a bit.

I also really liked the characters. Mr. Toad, in particular, is really interesting to me. I liked that the other characters keep talking about him before he shows up so that we can wonder who he is exactly. That's answered very quickly with his first scene being him riding in a seemingly out of control carriage through the country. That's accompanied by a great little song that gives us the perfect image of who he is and what kinds of faults he has.

The other characters are great as well. They don't get nearly the same focus but I can see very clear motivations for each of the characters. They all want Mr. Toad to behave but each one acts differently about it. Macbadger is worried that Mr. Toad is throwing away all his money. Ratty wants to knock some sense into Mr. Toad and Moley wants the same but is much less forceful about it.

The actual story worked really well for me too. The court scene where Mr. Toad is accused of stealing a car was really well done, if a bit slow paced. The evil prosecutor was great and had some funny moments. It was also great to see Mr. Toad seemingly lose the fight and get sent to jail. When he finally escapes we get to see a pretty cool escape sequence where he gets chased through the streets and then finally over the water on a boat.

By the end they prove his innocence and see that Mr. Toad has finally grown up a bit...until we see that he really hasn't. Usually something like this would annoy me but I think this message is a bit better. Wouldn't it be nice if we could be as carefree as Mr. Toad?

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

I really think this movie got 2 for 2. The story starts off in very much the same way. The narrator introduces us to Ichabod Crane and Brom Bones and gives us a feel for who each character is. Again, the narration is great.

When we meet Ichabod we get another great music sequence that lets us know exactly who he is and what his faults are. That is to say that he's a bit of a scumbag. Over the next few scenes that idea is really reinforced. He seems to have a bit of an obsession with food and women and is a bit of a schemer to get what he wants.
Brom, on the other hand, doesn't get nearly as much attention. At first, he's introduced as a pretty good guy who likes playing jokes on people but never really intends to hurt anyone with them. I really don't get that feeling as the short goes on though. Over time it seems that he's just also kind of a jerk.

And that's really my big problem with this short. I just really didn't know who to root for in the story. Partway through we meet Katrina, a young, beautiful and rich girl who both Ichabod and Brom fall in love with. We should clearly be rooting for Brom because he has been shown to be a good guy while Ichabod was shown scheming to marry her and take her father's money for himself. This is sort of unclear in the actual story though. Brom is mostly used for comedy as he consistently loses to Ichabod despite his underhanded attempts. The more I see Brom trying to win Katrina with dumb plots like making Ichabod dance with a fat girl, the less I like him and want him to win.

In any case, Brom sees that Ichabod is a bit superstitious so he tells a ghost story about the headless horseman to freak him out a bit. Ichabod goes home and gets attacked by the horseman and vanishes by morning. That whole sequence was also pretty cool. The song to introduce the horseman was a bit hokey but the actual sequence where he appears was actually pretty exciting. I guess my only other comment would be that I'm not actually really sure what happened. Did Brom set up the whole horseman thing and kill Ichabod? I don't really think he would go quite that far. Brom does win at the end so at least Ichabod can't take all the money. It's not the most satisfying ending but I still liked it. It was a pretty solid adaptation of a well known legend.

I'm off to try on some glass slippers.

11 down. 42 to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment