Tuesday, March 11, 2014

It better not be time for... - Melody Time

10 – Melody Time

When I started watching Melody Time I thought it would be just another popular music Fantasia, much like Make Mine Music was before it. I was really worried that I wouldn't have anything to say because it would just a continuation of what I had said before about Make Mine Music. And to be honest...now I really wish it was just like that. I probably would have enjoyed it more.

Once Upon a Wintertime


This short is actually not too bad. I liked the theme of the young couple with the other animal couples around them skating on the lake with the bunny couple mirroring them. It's not very artistic or ambitious at first and it seems like there's a disconnect between the music and what's happening in the animation. The music, at least, fits the tone of the story. The second half gets much better with the couples fighting. The music starts to match up better with what's happening in the short. Overall, I don't think it had much style but it was cute.

Bumble Boogie

I also kind of liked this short. There's no story in this one but the theme of the bumble bee trying to escape the music was pretty cool. I really liked the imagery here as we could really see the images that the sounds represented affecting the animation.

The Legend of Johnny Appleseed

This short had much more story than the two that preceded it. So much so that I really felt like the music took a back seat, making this much like a regular short. Though it contained musical sequences, they felt like the kind you might see in a normal Disney movie. I liked that they tried to tell a story but it didn't have as much thought put into it as I've seen in other Disney movies.

Little Toot

This short had some pretty cute music but it was way too literal with the animation. Basically everything that was said in the lyrics got acted out and that's just redundant and boring to watch. The best parts of this short were when there were no lyrics with the music to let the story tell itself. The story itself was ok. It's extremely simple and basic so I don't think they really intended to tell something profound with it.

Trees

I really enjoyed this short. It shows simple imagery of a tree with changing seasons. It is by far the most artistic of the bunch and it was really cool to see how the seasons changed wit the music. I don't even mind that there was no story (again). The mood changed with the music perfectly and it was good to have that common theme throughout the short.

Blame it on the Samba

Again, a pretty basic and inoffensive short. The beginning has a pretty cool theme where they use color to show the character's moods. The beginning lacks a bit of artistic style but it kicks up later at the second half. The second half is a bit more psychedelic and gets a bit more interesting with what they're showing. They have a live action segment that works reasonably well though they don't end up doing too much with it. Again, no real story.

Pecos Bill

Holy crap. I can really say that I haven't honestly hated anything up to this point. But I absolutely hated this short. The beginning just shows some desert imagery with some slow cowboy music that fits the tone nicely. We find ourselves around a live action campfire with cowboys singing along. Finally, this douchey little kid (played by Bobby Driscoll) and Luana Patten get Roy Rodgers, Bob Nolan and the Sons of the Pioneers to retell the story of Pecos Bill.

The story itself starts out fine. Pecos Bill is raised by coyotes and gets into a bunch of adventures. That's all fine but they're just a bunch of stupid stories that I have no interest in because I haven't gotten a reason to care about Pecos Bill. If anything, Pecos Bill comes off as a jerk. At one point he shoots at a bunch of Native Americans and chases them around. There's a ton of really unfunny slapstick like this and it just gets irritating. On top of all that, I didn't even really see the point of the story. It basically ends after his horse (his BEST FRIEND) sabotages his chance at happiness with a woman and he just goes and gives up on her.

I can't tell you how much I wish this was just a popular music Fantasia. I didn't hate all of it but Pecos Bill really soured it all for me. This is absolutely ranked at the bottom so far from what I've watched.

10 down. 43 to go.

And 1 more package movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment