Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Did you ever see an elephant fly? - Dumbo

4 – Dumbo

I saw Dumbo when I was really little and I barely remember it at all. I do remember that I didn't like it very much as a kid so I was wondering what I would think of it now. After seeing it, I think I would, unfortunately, agree with my younger self.

The movie starts off really great. It sets up the story well with the storks and the mother elephant (Jumbo) who wants her own baby. I really appreciated that there wasn't a narrator to spell everything out. This really let the animation and the character's facial expressions to really tell the story with some help from the music.

Unfortunately, it kind of starts going downhill after that. The story is paced really bizarrely. There are really long music segments that basically have nothing to do with the plot and just fill time. There's a long segment where Dumbo and Timothy Q. Mouse get drunk all so they can end up in a tree the next day to get to the next plot point. Near the end they introduce these vaguely racist crows who sing a long song that basically spells out that they're jerks just like all the other ones Dumbo has faced. Now, I'm not against musical sequences. The big problem was that none of them seemed to actually develop any character or move the plot forward in any significant way. The great thing about Pinocchio was that each of those musical sequences revealed more about each of the characters involved. Here, we have “Pink Elephants on Parade” which would've fit right in with Fantasia but didn't really tell us anything about how Dumbo was really feeling. All it was was a dumb excuse to shoehorn in the fact that he can fly.

I think if this movie was made today I would have done some things pretty differently. Near the end they introduce this “magic feather.” It's basically just something the crows give to the Mouse to have him convince Dumbo that he can fly even though it's basically worthless. Dumbo then loses it right before he's about to show the world he can fly and the Mouse explains what it is and Dumbo manages to fly anyway. That really feels like a missed opportunity to me. If they introduced the flying idea earlier they really could have used this idea to emphasize how unconfident Dumbo is after being called a freak for so long. I also would have spent a lot more time with Dumbo actually learning to fly. This should have been the visualization of Dumbo changing as a person-elephant? And would have given him some real character development. If they showed him working for it and showing that it was more difficult, then we (as an audience) would be rooting for him even more at the end.

I didn't hate all of it though. Even though the “Pink Elephants on Parade” scene was pointless, I did really enjoy the animation and the way it worked with the music. I also really enjoyed every interaction Dumbo had with his mother. They were all legitimately touching and you could really tell how much they cared about each other even though neither of them spoke very much. Overall, I think I'm starting to expect more from Disney now that I've seen Pinocchio. The days of Snow White and having no character development or really interesting plot is behind them. I felt like Dumbo was just too safe. It didn't really take any risks. Disney knew that people liked music sequences and cute characters so they made this to make up for the experiment that was Fantasia.

You really can't say that the next one was Disney playing it safe...

4 down. 49 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment